Saturday, October 29, 2005

I Smell Burnt Toast: Ash At SPASM.


In the Quebec horror scene, the SPASM film festival is like Fantasia’s drop out younger brother. It’s shorter, smaller, and more easily entertained by blood and anal sex jokes. But like a drop-out younger brother, it’s way more fun to hang out with, since it’s got all kinds of modeling glue and paper bags and can shotgun two cans of Labatt 50 without breathing. Plus, it’s got enough testosterone and alcohol in its system that it seems it would be easy to convince the festival to take the pickup truck out after midnight to teach that uppity Brandon Teena a lesson. Focusing entirely on short Quebec horror films, every screening is sold out, and takes place at large clubs that serve cheap booze, which means that everyone has a good time except whoever has to clean the washrooms after the drunk metal-heads in corpse paint finish pissing in the sink. I checked out the Grande Soiree D’Horreur last night, which featured about 20 short films of various, but generally high, quality, though all were shot on a low budget. Highlights included the strange, octopus-centric Factuer Pulpe, Les Pleures des Rafael Park, and Head. The latter two films had no surprises plot-wise, but had some really inventive effects. Also, I’m not quite sure who that strikingly handsome, deviously intelligent, and hysterically funny young fellow who walked off with the Grand Jury Prize and (co)-Audience Award for Best Film was, but someone should definitely give him a three-picture deal with Miramax. In other news, I hear there’s a really cool festival happeneing in Alameda this weekend, especially this Monday, as well as Rojo Sangre in something called ‘Argentina’ that I’m sure all film fans will want to attend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

whoa - congratulations, ash!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Sam Kahn said...

Congrats, man.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Alex, Vampire Slayer said...

I've known you for a long time, and I honestly think that your comment about Brandon Teena is the absolute most offensive thing I've ever heard from you. I am in awe.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Ash Karreau said...

What about the time I went to Chinatown to yell 'Go Back To Africa' at the Asians? Or the blow-job dance? Or the time I downloaded that Bonzi Buddy speech program and set it to remind me every morning that the Holocaust never happened? For six months? I think the Brandon Teena thing is lightweight compared to my glory days.

Sean and Sam, thanks, but no congratulations are necessary. I am not this mysterious yet sexy fellow who won the awards. In fact, I was unable to catch his name above the cooing of gaggles of punky French girls. I did, however, manage to overhear that his film had also won Best Narrative film at Bearded Child, Best Comedy Short at Quintas, and Best DIY Short at Fantasia. If I were him, though, I wouldn't brag about it, because it makes him sound like a prick.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Best something at Antimatter

3:09 PM  
Anonymous broadzilla said...

Geez, Ash - you're like the Avian Flu, infectious and deadly - and I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. Congratulations, that's fantastic.

I was going to make a crack about you not having made an impression on the obviously more discerning Southern Hemisphere yet, but I see you're already making moves on Argentina. Sneaky. Next thing you know, I'll be listening to my parents discoursing authoritively on the finer points of Canadian splatter fliks down here in South Africa, instead of what a disappointment I turned out to be.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home