Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Remembrance Of Things Past.


Here’s an interesting bit of trivia. Years ago, I used to “write” for a website called Tangmonkey.com. I use the quotation marks because I would only do so on rare occasions where there was a Dr. Who rerun on Space: The Imagination Station that I’d seen more than twice, and it wasn’t so much writing as flooding the screen with racially-themed profanity. Among the several other writers who contributed to the site was a fellow named Dan Beirne, who went on to co-found Said The Gramophone, the go-to site for people looking to reference an obscure indie-folk band so they can lay the girl in glasses who works at the fair trade coffee shop. Dan wrote a weekly column called Waiting With Nathan, in which he watched a movie with Nathan Lane every week and then wrote about it. I had never met Dan, though I suppose he read my stuff enough to be irritated by it, so one week he wrote a Waiting With Ash column, in which he pretended to hang out with me instead of Nathan Lane. In this imaginary fable, we hung out and watched Russian classic The Cranes Are Flying, an unlikely event due to both my anti-social tendencies and the ultra-Nationalistic sense of pride that precludes me from watching anything not made by white German Protestants. Apparently, not only did I read this article, but I was introduced to Dan some time later and rather briskly dismissed him because I had actually liked the film he made me seem to hate in our imaginary meeting. I remember neither of these occasions, but nevertheless, I’ve read the article now, and am rather embarrassed to admit that it’s significantly funnier than most of what I write on this site (though I would not have opened with a David Spade joke). Anyway, check it out here if you’re interested.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Muttley said...

So you watched a movie together with a Johnny Cash lookalike. Whoa, put that in your next CV.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Ash Karreau said...

What? The whole point is that I didn't watch the movie with anyone. Honestly, kids, if you're not going to do your homework, you're going to start having to stay after class.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Muttley said...

last time my teacher told me that, my asshole kept bleeding for a whole week.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home