Monday, April 03, 2006

What's Slimy, Evil, And Tries To Crawl Inside Your Mouth? My Genitals. Also, Slither's a Pretty Good Movie.

Slither
2006, USA
James Gunn
35mm

About once every ten years, a horror movie comes along that’s so energetic, so infectiously fun, that you can’t help but fall in love with it. Unfortunately for Slither, this decade that film was Top of the Food Chain. Still, this low-budget horror-comedy is pulling in bizarrely positive reviews, though judging from its opening weekend box office, the critics are the only people who have seen it, and they’re didn’t pay.

Slither takes place in small town in the American South, because that way you only need one barn, a forest, three actors and ten teeth to make a film. Alien slugs from Night of the Creeps invade the town, courtesy of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer’s Michael Rooker, turning much of the population into killer, hive-mind linked zombies. For some reason, this is viewed negatively by many of the townsfolk, despite the fact that a single Borg-like hive-mind is generally exactly one more mind than hillbilly Republicans have. Nevertheless, resist they must, led by intrepid chief of police Nathan Fillion, who is apparently not making enough money off Firefly residuals to avoid movies about killer mollusks. Joined by an actress who is very nearly Rachel McAdams and an underage girl who shows her nipples, Fillion must battle slugs, zombies, and the inevitable B-movie boredom that kicks in between gory and disgusting set-pieces.

Thank you, Google, for not letting me down with a 'mind eating slug' search.

Director James Gunn clearly has a great love for sci-fi and horror, though his hard-on for David Cronenberg’s Shivers is showing through his pants, and the pre-ejaculate smells a little bit like Invaders From Mars. The premise of Slither owes a great deal to the schlock sci-fi of Ray Kellogg, and that’s not a debt you want to repay come Judgement Day. Taken as a comedy, Slither is quite good. Gunn directs his actors with a great sense of comedic timing, and despite the fact that the trailer makes the film look horrible, it’s really quite fun. As a horror film, however, it leaves a little to be desired. There are some distressing moments, but the emphasis here is on laughs rather than scares, and bad computer graphics over anything remotely frightening. Nevertheless, Slither has climbed to the top of my list of favorite monster slug movies. Now if only Gunn would set his sights on The Killer Shrews.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't thank Google, thank Futurama, the greatest cartoon series since "Rocket Robin Hood." Also, I think I saw some mindless alien zombies in the American South recently; They were marching against being sent back to Ecuador and losing their sweet gardening jobs. It's a weird case of life imitating schlock, I guess.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Squish said...

Oh my God Rocket Robin Hood. When I was a child and woke up too early for saturday morning cartoons, this is the crap I was punished with, then Hercules. UGH! Oh and a little spot of racism from Anonymous too, that's cute.
Anyways. Ash, I reviewed this too and I'll tell ya, I felt the exact same way. Very true, very true.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Ash Karreau said...

Heaven forbid they be any racism on this blog. And while Rocket Robin Hood was awesome (sorry, Squish), it was of course eclipsed by Sealab 2020.

4:54 PM  
Blogger gretchkal said...

is this rocket robin hood something canadian? it sounds canadian ... and gay.

and since i've never even heard of slither i went in search of a trailer and found one. after watching a couple of clips from the movie, i'm not sure that it's something i'd waste money going to see at the theater. but if it's funny like you say, ash, then i'll try to rent it when it comes to dvd.

9:11 PM  
Blogger batturtle said...

You said 'not making enough money of Firefly'. I think you meant to say 'off Firefly'. Way to go. Does the internet have no standards anymore.

Also, you neglected to mention that Betty Brant was in the movie.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Squish said...

I just saw that Rob Zombie is in Slither... As for Rocket Robin, it WAS Canadian. Ash, I saw an episode of Rocket Robin on Teletoon last year and the half hour is filled with long intros, recaps and credits. An episode must have no more than 10 minutes of new content. *Shudder* Let's just agree on this: Batturtle and his little no-post blog can keep reveling in your typos, while the rest of us enjoy your work.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous G.Burdi said...

Yo, uh, "Ash", I, like, left you a message, like, two days ago. Has the Misses, like, totally, locked you in the cubbie hole or what?

When do I get my autographed copy of "Mythic Hero"?.

14 words, gypsy!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Orlando said...

Gretchkal, it is not neccessary to refer to something as both "canadian" and "gay", especially in the same sentence. That's a redundant use of pejoratives. And of course RRH was gay! That was one of the reasons it was so awesome.

Ash, I'm not convinced by your review. It was a good review, but the movie sounds just a little bit too . . . Canadian.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Ash Karreau said...

Gretchkal - the trailer is truly awful. It very much made me not want to see the movie, but then I started reading all the reviews (86% on Rotten Tomatoes? Four stars in my local paper?), so I had to see what all the fuss was about. It's not something I would particularly recommend to people who don't like horror movies, but it's definitely worth seeing, in theatres or otherwise.

Batturtle - No, I neglected to care than Betty Brant was in this movie.

Squish - Batturtle does enjoy my work, he just doesn't like me.

"George" - I'll call you tonight, if the missus lets me. RaHoWa!

Orlando - Don't worry. The movie was just shot in Canada. I wouldn't subject you to that.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Mr.G.Burdi said...

BTW, why you change the word "vagina" in your article's title to "mouth"?

You used to be cool, man.

No, you did not.

88!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Ash Karreau said...

I changed it because the slugs don't crawl into women's vaginas in this movie, they crawl into their mouths. And funnily enough, someone just sent me an email complaining about how that particular title was uncouth, and too vulgar for my usual standards.

10:04 AM  
Blogger batturtle said...

Dear Squish...if that is yer real name,

I revel in all of Ash's mistakes and look forawrd to his eventual downfall and demise.

I have not updated that blog, because soon after setting it up I realized that people who have blog's are lame.

I have better things to do with my time. Like watch Justice League and read Mike Nelson books.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Ash Karreau said...

Hey! I bought you that book! I'm famous! On my own blog!

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home