Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Please, Please, Please Don't Read This At Work. Or Anywhere The FBI Can See.

Volver
2006, Spain
Pedro Almodovar
35mm

There aren't a lot of sexual taboos left in the age of information. With the vast resources of the virtual world at our fingertips, we can explore every possible permutation of human sexuality, all without actually having to shit in someone's mouth or touch a black girl. So what's left for filmmakers like Almodovar, to whom sexuality forms such an important element of his work? When the most taboo elements he can come up with already have a half-dozen websites and are at least 4 volumes into the Evil Angel DVD series, it must be a bit difficult for sexual progressives to push the envelope. So, Almodovar adapts, and presents elements of deviant sexuality as the backdrop to stories concerning something else. In this case, incest, pedophilia, and adultery are merely backgound elements in a light-hearted story of family and forgiveness. And it seems a perfect fit, because as this website would suggest, there's nothing I find funnier than diddling a toddler in front of a camera.

Volver is a great example of how prejudices and intolerances can be changed. Taboos are shattered not by marches and bullhorns, slogans, and public demonstration, but rather by presenting what's considered unnatural as normal. The images, once shocking, become commonplace, and are accepted. And that's a noble and progressive goal, and it's one that Volver has convinced me that I should adopt as my own.

This is a woman covered in shit fucking. Normally, I would comment on that, but in my quest to make taboos accepted, instead I'll just pretend that that's okay, and write a personal ad instead.

Single White Female Seeking Single White Male For Long Walks On The Beach and Romantic Meals High In Fiber.


This is a woman getting tongued by a dog. Again, it's okay, it's normal, and you won't notice it.

Beautiful German Shepherd seeks a home. Cute, friendly, and hung like a Labrador. No fat chicks.

There. I feel progressive already. And I'm sure I'll feel even more so when I make a romantic comedy starring my neighbor's kid and a 12 inch plastic dick.

Underage? Read a PG-13 review at The Comic Book Bin. Then come over to my house and let me watch you touch yourself. Girls and effeminate boys only need apply.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous broadzilla said...

That reminds me: Happy Valentine's Day!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I'm so, so ashamed of you, Ashe. You couldn't find a picture of the woman pegging the dog?

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home